The 85 best phrases about the "beyond"
Jul 15, 2021
Many of us wonder "What happens after you die?". There are thousands of theories to provide an answer to this question. From reincarnation until we move to a new plane, known -almost globally- as "the afterlife." A place where rest, redemption and peace are offered to all the souls of the world.
- We recommend you read: "80 phrases and reflections on death"
Best quotes and reflections on the afterlife
Whether you believe in this conception or in another idea, of what awaits us after death, we bring, In this article, the best phrases about the ‘beyond’ that will give you another vision of the end of the lifetime.
1. Death does not steal our loved ones. On the contrary, it keeps them for us and immortalizes them in our memory. Life does steal them from us many times and definitely. (François Mauriac)
Death can be seen as a new way of life.
2. I am more and more persuaded: the happiness of Heaven is for those who know how to be happy on earth. (Josemaria Escrivà de Balaguer)
Heaven is the reward of those who have lived happily on Earth.
3. Dying is nothing more than changing residence. (Marcus Aurelius)
It is a very peculiar way of looking at death.
4. How many die before having turned around themselves! (The vices that we acquire are like the guests who soon become owners of the house. (Charles A. Sainte-Beuve)
To have a happy life, you have to get away from what hurts us.
5. Some people are so afraid of dying that they never begin to live. (Henry van Dyke)
Do not let death be an obstacle to living fully.
6. Death is something that we should not fear because, while we are, death is not, and when death is, we are not. (Antonio Machado)
Death is a friend that awaits us at some point.
7. Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies within us while we live. (Norman Cousins)
Being dead inside is the wrong way to live.
8. For me, the idea of heaven is that of a sunny terrace where you can have a drink with friends. (Alec Guinness)
Hoping to see loved ones in heaven again is a beautiful idea that many people have.
9. Just as a well-spent day produces sweet sleep, so a well-spent life causes sweet death. (Leonardo da Vinci)
If we have lived a good life, it is most likely that our death will also be pleasant.
10. But life is short: living, everything is missing; dying, everything is left over. (Felix Lope de Vega)
Life is very short, but death is very long.
11. I do not belong to your world, this is my place, where death is the eternal beginning. (Sandra Andrés Belenguer)
Death is a new way to start.
12. The terrible thing is not the arrival of death, but the farewell to life! (What is reasonable is not truly wise; and what is wise is almost never reasonable in the eyes of too cold a reason. (Maurice Maeterlinck)
Saying goodbye to loved ones is the hardest thing to do before you die.
13. It is as natural to die as it is to be born. (Francis Bacon)
We are born and we die. it is the law of life.
14. If after I die I go to heaven, it will have to be like here, only freed from these clumsy senses, from these heavy bones. (Czeslaw Milosz)
When we die, we get rid of pain, anguish and burdens.
15. It is easier to bear death without thinking about it than to bear the thought of death. (Blaise Pascal)
Do not let the theme of death destroy the joie de vivre.
16. He who lives on memories drags an endless death.
Living with only memories is a way of dying slowly.
17. The wise man is the one who wants to stick his head up to heaven; and the madman is the one who wants to put heaven in his head. (Gilbert Keith)
We must have a bit of both cases.
18. Death does not exist, people only die when they forget it; If you can remember me, I will always be with you. (Isabel Allende)
If a loved one is always remembered who is no longer with us, then he has not died.
19. Sleep with the thought of death and wake up with the thought that life is short. (Proverb)
Death can come at any moment.
20. Death is life lived. Life is a death that comes. (José Luis Borges)
True life begins when death comes.
21. Terrible is death! but how appealing is also the life of the other world, to which God calls us! Be patient with all things, but especially with yourself. (Saint Francis De Sales)
Death comes at the right time.
22. All men think that all men are mortal except themselves. (Edward Young)
No one is immortal. We are all gonna die.
23. In our sad condition, the only comfort we have is the hope of another life. Down here everything is incomprehensible. (Martin Luther)
Perhaps what awaits us in heaven is another much better life.
24. The man who does not perceive the drama of his own end is not in normality but in pathology, and he would have to lie down on the stretcher and allow himself to be cured. (Carl Gustav Jung)
We have all thought about the subject of death at some point.
25. Like a sea, around the sunny island of life, death sings its endless song night and day. (Rabindranath Tagore)
Death and life go side by side.
26. Where can the one who came this far go, if only the dead went beyond. (Thomas Jefferson)
Nobody knows what the afterlife is like.
27. How else can you threaten other than death? The interesting thing, the original thing, would be that someone threatens you with immortality. (Jorge Luis Borges)
Life is something that we cherish, that we don't want to lose.
28. Often the tomb contains, without knowing it, two hearts in the same coffin. (Alphonse de Lamartine)
When someone dies, not only does that person leave, but others also go with them.
29. Death is a chimera: because while I exist, death does not exist; and when death exists, I no longer exist. (Epicurus of Samos)
Death only exists when we are no longer in this world.
30. If you do not know life yet, how can it be possible to know death? (Confucius)
You have to know what life is, in order to be clear about what death is.
31. In the long run we will all be dead. (John Maynard Keynes)
Dying is a goal that we are all going to reach.
32. To fear death is to misinterpret life. (Anonymous)
The fear of death is something to lose.
33. If death were not the prelude to another life, the present life would be a cruel mockery. (Gandhi)
For many people, death is a way to live forever.
34. Death is the beginning of immortality. (Maximilien Robespierre)
When we die we become immortal beings.
35. Death is a challenge. It tells us not to waste time... It tells us to tell ourselves now that we love each other. (Leo Buscaglia)
Life is very short, we must live intensely.
36. Expect the unexpected and accept the unacceptable. What is death? If we still do not know what life is, how can we be disturbed by knowing the essence of death? (Confucius)
If we accept death as the inseparable companion, it will be easy to go with it.
37. It is not enough to think about death, but it must always be in front of you. Then life becomes more solemn, more important, more fruitful and joyful. (Stefan Zweig)
If we allow death to be by our side, life is lived with greater freedom.
38. On the day of your death it will happen that what you possess in this world will pass into the hands of someone else. But what you are will be yours forever. (Henry Van Dyke)
The material is not something that we are going to take with us when we die, only what we have lived.
39. Death awaits the old at the door of their house; young people are waiting for them. (Saint Bernard)
It does not matter if we are young or old, death is with us.
40. After your death, you will be what you were before your birth. (Arthur Schopenhauer)
After we die, we will be just a memory.
41. No man who has ever lived knows of the afterlife; and all religion arises simply from subterfuge, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry. (Edgar Allan Poe)
We do not know exactly what heaven is like and what is there after death.
42. I am not afraid of death, what I am afraid of is trance, going there. I confess that I am curious to know what it is about. (Atahualpa Yupanqui)
The path that we will travel to the hereafter is what causes fear and uncertainty.
43. Dying is a wild night and a new way. (Emily Dickinson)
Dying is somewhat uncertain.
44. We take stock of our life, but we know that the true prosecutor is death and that we know his verdict in advance. Final and inevitable companion. But, friend or foe. (Carlos Fuentes)
The only true company we have is death.
45. When death falls on man, the mortal part is extinguished; but the immortal principle withdraws and walks away safely. (Plato)
Man is really free when he dies.
46. It is more cruel to fear death than to die. (Publio Siro)
Death is terrifying for itself than for what it really represents.
47. Respect is owed to the living, to the dead nothing but truth. (Voltaire)
Remember those who have already died.
48. It does not matter how a man dies, but how he lives. The act of dying is not important, its duration is short. (Samuel Johnson)
Life excels death.
49. The presentiment of meeting again beyond the grave those who have gone before us, and of gathering around us those who remain behind us, is common to all men. (Guillermo de Humboldt)
Seeing the beings that have already left and waiting for those who arrive later is the illusion of many.
50. Death is important only insofar as it makes us reflect on the value of life. (André Malraux)
If we don't value life, then death is a great excuse.
51. We are born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Everything in between is a gift. (Yul Brynner)
Just as we were born, in the same way we leave. Alone
52. The only thing that separates us from death is time. (Ernest Hemingway)
Death and time are rivals.
53. Perfection is death; imperfection is art. (Manuel Vicent)
If we live we seek perfection, then we have long been dead.
54. Remembering that one is going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking that there is something to lose. (Steve Jobs)
Having the awareness that death is something that we cannot avoid allows us to have a better enjoyment of life.
55. A mother is loved, always with equal affection, and at any age she is a child, when a mother dies. (José María Pemán)
Losing a mother is a great pain.
56. For the well-organized mind, death is just the next great adventure. (JK Rowling)
Death can be approached as a great new adventure.
57. What my experience revealed to me is that the death of the body and the brain does not mean the end of consciousness, that human experience continues beyond death. (Eben Alexander)
Although our physical body dies, our soul remains alive.
58. Cowards die many times before their true death, brave men like death only once. (William Shakespeare)
There are many ways to die in life.
59. As a day well spent brings a happy dream, a life well spent brings a happy death. (Leonardo da Vinci)
For many people, death is the only remedy for all their ills.
60. The only thing that comes safely is death. (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
There is nothing more certain than death.
61. Death calls, one by one, all men and all women, without forgetting just one. (Camilo José Cela)
We are all in the same line, but we don't know when our turn will come.
62. Death is bravely taken in the face and then invited to a drink. (Edgar Allan Poe)
When it is time to leave we must say: welcome.
63. He whom the gods love dies young. (Menander)
Dying is not a matter of age.
64. The fear of death is the result of being afraid of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any moment. (Mark Twain)
If you live completely happy, then death does not represent any fear.
65. When I die, I will see the lining of the world. The other side, beyond the birds, the mountains, the sunset. (Czeslaw Milosz)
It is believed that, when we die, we can travel anywhere.
66. Different in life, men are equal in death. (Lao Tse)
We are all the same when we die.
67. Death asks life: "Why does everyone hate me and everyone loves you?" Life responds: "Because I am a beautiful lie and you are a sad truth."
Death is what we truly have.
68. Live for yourself only if you can, because only for you, if you die, you die. (Francisco de Quevedo)
We must prepare loved ones to accept death.
69. After all, death is just a symptom that there was life. (Mario Benedetti)
Death is a reflection of life.
70. Death will only be sad for those who have not thought about it. (Fénelon)
You always have to wait for death with a great party.
71. Death for the young is shipwreck and for the old it is reaching port. (Baltasar Gracián)
The youth see death as a failure, while the elderly seek it as a balm.
72. He who you believe that he has died, has done nothing but advance on the road. (Seneca)
When a loved one leaves first, it is that he has left to prepare the way for us.
73. Our death is not the end if we can live in our children and in the younger generation. Because they are us; our bodies are just withered leaves on the tree of life. (Albert Einstein)
We will continue to live in the hearts and minds of our loved ones.
74. It seems to me that the greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in which direction we are moving: to reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it, but we must sail and not drift, not even stay anchored. (Marjorie Holmes)
The road to heaven is full of obstacles.
75. Death is a punishment for some, for others a gift, and for many a favor. (Seneca)
Death can be seen from different points of view.
76. Only when we really know and understand that we have a limited time on earth, and that we have no way of know when our time is running out, then we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it were the only have. (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross)
Life has to be lived every day since we do not know when it ends.
77. Death makes angels out of all of us and gives us wings where before we had only shoulders... soft as crow's claws. (Jim Morrison)
God can turn us into angels.
78. When you are aware of death, you end up assuming your own loneliness. (Rosa Regàs)
Loneliness is something like death.
79. The life of the dead endures in the memory of the living. (Cicero)
We must always remember those who have already left.
80. Every moment of life is a step towards death. (Pierre Corneille)
Each day lived brings us closer to death.
81. Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies within us while we live. (Norman Cousins)
Don't let death take over inside you.
82. Death and love are the two wings that carry the good man to heaven. (Miguel Angel)
He lives a quiet and happy life so you can get to heaven.
83. Fear of death? One must fear life, not death. (Marlene Dietrich)
Life causes more fear than death itself.
84. Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back. (Marcus Aurelius)
If he accepts death as a companion, it will be easier to understand.
85. I have often meditated on death and find it to be the least of all evils. (Francis Bacon)
There are other things worse than death itself.