100 phrases by Paulo Coelho (happiness, love, friendship ...)
Jul 16, 2021
Paulo Coelho is a Brazilian writer who was born in 1947 in Rio de Janeiro. Before dedicating his life to literature, he worked as a theater director, actor, screenwriter, and journalist.
His international fame came after the great success of "The Alchemist" (1988), but he is the author of other titles of great commercial success such as: "Brida" (1990), "Las Valquirias" (1992), "La Quinta Montaña" (1996), "Verónika Decide Morir" (1998) or "On the Banks of the River Piedra I Saté and Cried" (2002).
Paulo Coelho quotes
These are some of the phrases that summarize his way of seeing the life of this author, as well as his most prominent famous quotes taken from various interviews that he has given throughout his race.
1. Even if happy people say they are, nobody is satisfied: we always have to be with the most beautiful woman, with the biggest house, changing cars, wishing for what we don't have.
Human beings are not satisfied, we always want more.
2. I love almost anything about my job except lectures. I am too shy in front of an audience. But I love singing and having eye contact with a reader who already knows my soul.
A confession of this great novelist who claims that he loves to bare his soul.
3. We have to stop and be humble enough to stop and understand that there is something called mystery.
Humility is one of the great virtues that a person can have.
4. Let's be absolutely clear about one thing: we must not confuse humility with false modesty or servility.
The author compares humility with modesty or servility.
5. What I can say about all my characters is that they are in search of their souls, because they are my mirror. I am someone who is constantly searching for my place in the world, and literature is the best way I can find to see myself.
Coelho affirms that through literature he finds himself.
6. Everyone has creative potential and from the moment you can express that creative potential, you can begin to change the world.
Creativity is the beginning to change the world we live in.
7. When I write a book, I do it for myself; the reaction depends on the reader. It's not my business if people like it or dislike it
Paulo Coelho confesses that he writes the books from his heart,
8. I'm not saying that love always takes you to heaven. Your life can turn into a nightmare. But with that said, it's worth the risk
It is worth risking for love, it is what gives us life.
9. The good old days, when every day had an owner, are gone forever.
A phrase by Paulo Coelho that invites the reader to reflect,
10. I was not encouraged to pursue a career as a writer because my parents thought I was going to starve. They thought that no one can earn a living as a writer in Brazil. They were not wrong.
Coelho explains that his parents were not amused that he was a writer.
11. The more in harmony you are with yourself, the more you enjoy and the more faith you have. Faith does not disconnect you from reality, it connects you with it.
When you are okay with yourself, you are okay with everything else.
12. You are always learning. The problem is that sometimes you stop and think that you can understand the world. This is not correct. The world is always moving. A point is never reached where you can stop making an effort
You should live your life instead of spending your whole life trying to understand everything.
13. Things don't always happen the way I would like and I better get used to it
You can't feel bad because things don't go the way you want
14. I am first and foremost a writer. I followed my personal legend, my teenage dream of becoming a writer, but I can't say why I am.
A confession of this remarkable author.
15. Happiness is simply another trick that our genetic system uses for the survival of the species.
A curious reflection by Paulo Coelho on happiness.
16. I am not a self help writer. I am a problem solving writer myself. When people read my books, I provoke things. I cannot justify my work. I do my job; it's up to them to classify and judge it
Coelho affirms that he is not a writer of self-help books, but that his texts encourage the creativity of the reader when it comes to solving problems.
17. I was always a rich person because money is not related to happiness
Money does not make happiness, no matter how much some believe.
18. Writing means sharing. It is part of the human condition to want to share things, thoughts, ideas, opinions
Sharing is one of the things that can make us feel better.
19. What interests me in life is curiosity, challenges, good fights with their victories and defeats.
Life has its good moments and its bad moments.
20. I believe that enlightenment or revelation comes in everyday life. I am looking for the enjoyment, the peace of the action. You need to act. I would have stopped writing years ago if it was for the money.
Paulo Coelho's motivation is not money.
21. Everything tells me I'm about to make the wrong decision, but making mistakes is part of life
We all make mistakes, don't blame yourself for that.
22. Choosing one path means having to lose others
You can't have everything at once, sometimes you have to sacrifice things.
23. The most important thing in all human relationships is conversation, but people no longer speak, they don't sit and listen. They go to the cinema, the theater, watch television, listen to the radio, read books, but hardly speak. If we want to change the world, we have to go back to the time when warriors sat around a fire telling stories
Communication is very important in interpersonal relationships.
24. Everything is allowed, unless interrupt a manifestation of love
Love must manifest itself, it is a very intense feeling.
25. Don't explain yourself. Your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe it
There is no justification according to what things.
26. When we love, we always strive to be better than we are. When we strive to be better than we are, everything around us becomes better.
When we work on ourselves, the external does not matter.
27. It is not expectations that guide us forward, it is our desire to move forward
Our motivation is the guiding force.
28. Life moves fast. Rushing us from heaven to hell in a matter of seconds
The world does not stop, it is our decision to get on the train.
29. Sometimes you do not have a second chance and it is better to accept the gifts that the world offers you
Second chances are not up to us.
30. The ship is more securely anchored in the port, but that is not the role of the ships
The comfort zone is not a good option if we want to grow and develop.
31. Better to live like it's the first and last day of my life
Living in the moment is the best option and it is the only thing we can live for.
32. It is the possibility of having a dream that comes true that makes life interesting
Vital goals are what make us move and what make us happy.
33. No matter how you feel today, get up, get dressed, show yourself
You have to go out and enjoy life.
34. When someone leaves it is because someone else is about to arrive
Farewells, deep down, are opportunities
35. During intimate relationships it is very difficult to deceive another person because that is when people show who they really are
In intimate relationships we show who our self is.
36. One day you will wake up and there will be no more time to do the things you always wanted. Do them now
Today is the only day we can live, not yesterday or tomorrow.
37. The secret of life is therefore to fall seven times and get up eight
The adversities that come our way on a daily basis are opportunities to learn.
38. Nothing in the world is completely wrong. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
Paulo Coelho refers to the fact that truths are relative
39. The simple things are also the most extraordinary things and only the wise can see them
Experience shows us that happiness is found in simple things.
40. A child can teach an adult three things: to be happy without reason, to always be busy with something and to know how to demand with all his will what he wants
We adults can learn a lot from children.
41. Waiting is painful. Forgetting is painful. But not knowing what to do is the worst kind of suffering.
Being confused and not knowing where to go is what is known as existential crisis.
42. The strongest love is the one that can show its fragility
True love does not need lies or show what it is not.
43. How does light enter a person? If the door of love is open
Without love it is impossible to be happy.
44. When you repeat a mistake, it is no longer a mistake, it is a decision
Mistakes made multiple times are decisions.
45. Love is not in others, it is within ourselves
When you do not love yourself, it is impossible for you to love others.
46. Love is discovered through the practice of loving and not through words
Love must be demonstrated, not said.
47. If you want to be successful you have to respect a rule "never lie to yourself"
Lying to yourself is going to hurt your path to your goals.
48. The wise man is wise because he loves, the madman is crazy because he thinks he understands love
Reflections in love can lead to madness.
49. Accumulating love means accumulating luck, accumulating hate means accumulating calamity
Hate is one of the worst decisions people can make.
50. No, I have never seen an angel, but having seen it or not is irrelevant. I feel his presence around me
A phrase that could show Paulo Coelho's faith in God.
51. Live in the present, it's the only thing you have
The future is yet to come, and the past is gone.
52. Who loves waiting for a reward is wasting time
In love you have to let yourself go, otherwise, you may end up disappointed.
53. People are very reluctant to talk about their private lives but you go online and they are much more open
Sometimes it's easier to talk about your life with strangers than with people you don't know.
54. Love will never separate man from his Personal Legend
Love is recorded in the book of our life.
55. This is freedom: to feel what the heart desires, regardless of the opinion of others
Freedom does not count what others think of you.
56. You don't drown by falling into a river, but by staying submerged in it.
It is not the fact that constantly hurts us, but to recreate ourselves in it.
57. The more violent a storm is, the faster it passes
A phrase by Paulo Coelho that leads us to reflect.
58. Culture makes people understand each other better. And if they understand each other better in their souls, it is easier to overcome political and economic barriers. But first they have to understand that their neighbors is, in the end, like them, with the same problems
Paulo Coelho, this time expressing his thoughts on culture.
59. You can become blind by seeing each day as similar. Every day is different, every day brings a miracle. It is simply a matter of paying attention to that miracle
Life goes on its way, and we must adapt.
60. Life was always a problem of waiting for the right moment to act
We must take risks in this life if we want to get out of our comfort zone.
61. Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the fear itself. And no heart has suffered when searching for its dream
When you feel something for someone, you better go after that feeling.
62. Everything that happens once may not happen again. But everything that happens twice will happen a third time surely
We learn from mistakes. But when they appear twice, chances are high that they will happen again.
63. Love is a trap. When it appears we only see its lights, not its shadows
When we are in love with a person, we only see their virtues and not their defects
64. When a person really wants something, the entire universe conspires to help that person realize their dream.
A nice reflection by this author about going in search of our goals.
65. When you are enthusiastic about what you do, you feel positive energy. It's very simple
The attitude we show determines, on many occasions, our success.
66. Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can replace experience
Experience is the best way to learn.
67. Remember your dreams and fight for them. Know what you want out of life. There is only one thing that makes your dream impossible: the fear of failure.
The fear of failure weakens us and prevents us from achieving our dreams.
68. You have to take risks. We only understand the miracle of life when we allow the unexpected to happen
We must be brave and risk for what we want to achieve.
69. I have seen many storms in my life. Most of them have taken me by surprise, so I had to learn very quickly to look ahead and understand that I am not able to control time, exercise the art of patience and respect the fury of nature
Experience helps you learn the importance of patience. Without a doubt, a great virtue.
70. No one can lie, no one can hide anything, when you look him straight in the eye
The look is a reflection of the soul. There it is possible to see if someone is lying to us.
71. One is loved because one is loved. There is no necessary reason to love
In love you do not have to think so much, you love because you love.
72. The possibility of realizing a dream is what makes life interesting
It is not achieving the goal that makes us happy, but pursuing it.
73. Never give up on a dream. Just try to see the signs that lead to him
Although it is sometimes tempting to throw in the towel, don't let go of your dreams.
74. When you grow up, you will discover that you already defended lies, deceived yourself, or suffered from nonsense. If you are a good warrior, you will not blame yourself for it, but you will not let your mistakes repeat themselves
Acceptance is key to our personal development and our happiness.
75. Sometimes you have to decide between one thing you are used to and another that you would like to know.
A phrase by Paulo Coelho that makes a clear reference to the comfort zone.
76. When I had nothing to lose, I had everything; when i stopped being who i am i found myself
The path of renunciation can bring happiness.
- Related article: "23 things you have to give up to live happily"
77. Everyone has a central role in the history of the world
Who has the ability to decide can make things change.
78. Don't waste time with explanations: people only listen to what they want to hear
There is no reason to give explanations about your own life.
79. If I am a part of your dream, you will come back one day
Affection and love are shown by spending time together.
80. Now that she had nothing to take from her, she was free
In a sense, getting rid of the elements is a way to increase our room for maneuver.
81. You are what you think you are
Self-convincing ourselves that we are something is a way of creating that identity.
82. No one loses anyone because no one owns anyone
The idea of making a human being part of someone's property is fundamentally reactionary.
83. What is the biggest lie in the world? It is this: that at a certain point in our lives we lose control of what happens to us
There are always ways to make our decisions count.
84. Your eyes show the strength of your soul
In the look, many aspects of who we are can be transmitted.
85. People never learn anything by listening to explanations; they must figure things out on their own
It is learned through direct experience.
86. When each day is like the next, it is because we are unable to recognize the good things that happen each day.
The idea that moments are repeated is an illusion.
87. Behind the ice mask that people wear, there is a heart of fire
Passions always exist, but sometimes they remain hidden.
88. Every ignored blessing turns into a curse
Missing opportunities is a way of hurting ourselves.
89. Don't let your mind tell your heart what to do
Another of Paulo Coelho's phrases in which he emphasizes the need to follow intuitions.
90. Certain things in life simply must be experienced, and never explained. Love is one of them.
There are aspects of life that are beyond words.
91. Love is not simply a habit, a commitment or a debt. Love just is
This feeling is itself an independent and very intense psychological phenomenon.
92. Why is patience so important? Because it allows us to pay attention
There are attitudes that, if they have so much value, it is because of the opportunities that they allow us to discover.
93. Do not be intimidated by the opinions of others, because only mediocrity is sure of itself
The idea of getting hurt by getting into a debate with someone doesn't make any sense.
94. Forgive, but never forget, or you will take damage again
We must bear in mind the times that they have harmed us, whatever happens next.
95. The deepest desire, the truest, is to be close to someone
The company and affection is a source of desire.
96. Intuition is a sudden immersion of the soul into the universal current of life
One of Paulo Coelho's most poetic phrases.
97. There is only one way to learn: through actions
Once again, this writer talks about the need to experience things for yourself.
98. Traveling is never a question of money, but of courage
Another of Paulo Coelho's phrases in which the importance of assuming the direction of one's life is emphasized.
99. People want everything to change and, at the same time, they want everything to stay the same
One of the contradictions that characterize us, according to this writer.
100. If it has to fall, let it be from a high place
Even in tragedies there is a margin of maneuver that allows us to aspire to something.