The 110 best phrases of personal development
Jul 27, 2022
When we talk about personal development, we refer to a series of learning processes and emotional maturation based on the action of giving meaning to what we do, channel our efforts, skills and talents into doing what truly fills us and is important to us, learning from our successes and our mistakes. It is one of the key aspects of Positive Psychology, and a source of happiness.
If you want to know more about this phenomenon, keep reading; here you can find a selection of the best personal development phrases, many of which are quotes from renowned thinkers.
- Related article: "165 wise phrases to reflect on life"
The most inspiring personal development phrases
Below we will see a collection of personal development phrases that will help us find the best version of ourselves.
1. Knowing what to do eliminates fear. (Rosa Parks)
Fear only brings more chaos in life as it stops many possibilities to achieve success.
2. Surround yourself with people who challenge your limits, not people who limit your challenges. (Jericho Pillar)
Look for friends who help you overcome your limits, they are worth it.
3. The future rewards those who keep going. I don't have time to feel sorry for myself. I don't have time to complain. I'm going to move on. (Barack Obama)
Complaints are useless, you just have to keep going and knock down the obstacles.
- You may be interested: "Personal Development: 5 reasons for self-reflection"
4. A hero is not braver than anyone else, he is only braver five minutes longer. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
We are all brave as we face things that others do not know.
5. The greatest glory is not to win, but to get up when we have fallen. (Nelson Mandela)
Defeat is not bad, what is harmful is staying on the ground and not continuing on the path.
6. There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible: the fear of failure. (Paulo Coelho)
Fear paralyzes, it doesn't let you move forward.
7. Remember that you cannot fail to be yourself. (Wayne Dyer)
Don't be a copy, be the original.
8. What you do today can improve all your tomorrows. (Ralph Marston)
Bet on today so that your tomorrow is successful.
9. Be the change you want to see in the world. (Mahatma Gandhi)
Before changing the world, start with you.
10. Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm. (Winston Churchill)
Don't stay in failure, get up every time you fall.
11. Your thoughts lead you to your purposes, your purposes to your actions, your actions to your habits, your habits to your character, and your character determines your destiny. (TyronEdwards)
Think, create a plan, get going and don't stop.
12. The greatest courage of a human being is to stand up, even when falling apart.
Do not decay, keep going, even if the road is full of stones.
13. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that. (Martin Luther King Jr.)
Include love in everything you do, you will be surprised by the results.
14. We live in the world when we love. Only a life lived for others is worth living. (Albert Einstein)
Live with all amplitude, love and courage.
15. The future belongs only to the people who keep walking. Don't stop in the way, you always keep going.
If you stop along the way, you lose, so don't stop.
16. If you are yourself, you will never, ever make a mistake. Don't betray yourself.
Don't be a copy of someone else, you are unique and valuable.
17. Personal development is a great time saver. The better you are, the less time it will take you to reach your goals. (Brian Tracey)
Always seek to be the best in everything you do.
18. Change equals self-improvement. Push yourself to places you haven't been before. (Pat Summit)
When you see that everything does not flow as you expected, change in every way.
19. You don't get to the top by beating others, but by beating yourself. (Anonymous)
The only enemy to overcome is yourself.
20. Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day after day. (Robert Collier)
Constancy, perseverance and effort is the secret to success.
21. Life is growth. If we stop growing, we are technically and spiritually dead. (Morihei Ueshiba)
Keep learning more and more.
22. When we cannot change the situation we face, the challenge is to change ourselves. (Victor Frankl)
If you can't change something, change your way of thinking.
23. We are what we do every day so that excellence is not an act but a habit. (Aristotle)
Be consistent in everything you do.
24. There is no failure but learning. (Marian Gil)
Failure is not a defeat, but a learning.
25. Defeat is not the worst of failures. Not trying is the real failure. (George Edward Woodberry)
Try something even when you fail, it becomes a success.
- Related article: "The 75 best phrases about Psychology... and its meaning"
26. Fortune favors the brave. (Virgil)
Who dares, achieves what is proposed.
27. You can't stop the birds of sadness from flying over you, but you can stop them from nesting in your hair. (Chinese proverb)
Sadness and disappointment are part of life, you just have to throw them away quickly.
28. When you recover or discover something that feeds your soul and brings you joy, take care of loving yourself enough and make a space for it in your life. (Jean Shinoda Bolen)
When something is done that fills us with joy, we must make it part of our lives.
29. Ideas do not last long. Something has to be done with them. (Santiago Ramon y Cajal)
Think and act, that is the key to success.
30. What matters is not what happens to you, but how you react to it. (Epictetus)
It depends on how you react to something, it will determine how you achieve your dreams.
31. If you do not like something, change it. If you can not change it, then change your attitude. (Maya Angelou)
If you can't handle a problem, change your view of it.
32. Don't judge each day by what you reap, but by what you plant. (Robert Louis Stevenson)
You will reap what you sow.
33. When the whole world is silent, even a single voice becomes powerful. (Malala Yousafzai)
Do not shut up, express what you feel.
34. Sometimes you have to forget what you feel and remember what you deserve. (Frida Kahlo)
In difficulties, think only of success.
35. Before finding your soulmate, you must first discover yours. (CharlesF. Glassman)
To love another, you have to love yourself first.
36. When we go through a moment of sadness and depression is when we really realize how happy we can be.
Only by facing a problem can we see how happy we can be.
37. Small actions each day make or break character. (Oscar Wilde)
Every day is a challenge to overcome.
38. There is nothing in life to be feared, only understood. It is time to understand more, to fear less. (Marie Curie)
If you are afraid, just understand the situation and everything will be resolved easily.
39. Fall down seven times and get up eight. (Japanese proverb)
When you fall, get up and keep going.
40. Nothing happens until something moves. (Albert Einstein)
If you don't move, nothing will happen.
41. All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. (Walt-Disney)
If you want to make a dream come true, just chase it.
42. The best way to predict the future is to create it. (Peter Drucker)
Your future is only in your hands.
43. If you want something you never had, you must do something you never did. (Anonymous)
To achieve success you have to start working today.
44. Love is a beautiful flower, but you have to have the courage to go and pick it up from the edge of a precipice. (Stendhal)
True love is hard to find as it is a hidden treasure.
45. Spill flowers wherever you go, because you don't know if you'll go through the same place again.
Do not mistreat anyone since you do not know when you will need that person.
46. Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage. (Lao Tzu)
Love with all your heart, love is a unique energy.
47. You don't have to control your thoughts; you just have to stop letting them control you. (Dan Millman)
Don't let negative thoughts influence you.
48. You will begin to smile when you push negative thoughts out of your head to make room for positive ones. The difference will cause you such joy that you will not go back.
Get rid of those thoughts that do not go according to your dreams.
49. We are what we think. The world is what we are. We can change the world for the better with positive thoughts.
You can change your life just by changing your thoughts.
50. Personal development is the belief that you are worth the effort, time and energy it takes to develop yourself. (Denis Waitley)
Improve yourself as a person, only then can you achieve success.
51. Life will give you the experience that is most useful for the evolution of your consciousness. (Eckhart Tolle)
In each achievement experience is present.
52. Everything is difficult before being easy. (Goeth)
Nothing is easy before you do it.
53. You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great. (Zig Ziglar)
If you want to succeed, just start.
54. Take a close look at the present you are building, it should resemble the future you are dreaming of. (Alice Walker)
If what you build today resembles what you dream of, then you are on the right track.
- You may be interested: "The 10 branches of Philosophy (and its main thinkers)"
55. I believe that personal growth has a lot to do with the ability to act. (Beverly D'Angelo)
There can be no ideal personal development if you don't have a positive view of yourself.
56. Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain but all the happiness and growth happens while you are climbing it. (Andy Roney)
Don't focus on the top, enjoy every step you take.
57. It's always early to give up. (Norman Vincent Peale)
If you're going to give up let it be tomorrow.
58. We become what we think. (Earl Nightingale)
What you think of yourself, that's what will happen.
59. If you know that your intention was to give your best, you have nothing to regret.
If you tried and it didn't work, you still won.
60. Love yourself first and everything else falls into place. You have to love yourself to do anything in this world. (Lucille Ball)
Before loving others, he loves first.
61. The best time of day is now. (Pierre Bonard)
Start now, it's the best time to do it.
62. Only he who attempts the absurd is capable of achieving what seemed impossible. (Miguel Unamuno)
It doesn't matter if your dream seems impossible, just try it.
63. Conquering yourself is a bigger task than conquering others. (Buddha)
Facing our fears leaves us paralyzed, but not doing so makes us lose our direction and even our identity.
64. The challenges of life should not paralyze you, they are there to discover who you are. (Bernice Johnson Reagan)
Do not fear challenges, even when they seem difficult, they are surmountable.
65. Dare to love yourself as if you were a rainbow with gold at both ends. (Aberjhani)
You are just as worthy of love as the one you give your loved ones.
66. What you get by reaching your goals is not as important as what you become. (Henry David Thoreau)
Achieving dreams also becomes a teaching.
67. When you get up in the morning think of the privilege it is to be alive, to think, to enjoy, to love. (Marcus Aurelius)
Appreciate each sunrise and enjoy it fully.
68. Your life shrinks or expands in proportion to your value. (Anais Nin)
That you lack anything, except the courage to achieve your dreams.
69. Understanding is the first step to acceptance and only by accepting can you recover. (J.K. Rowling)
If you accept yourself as you really are, everything flows better.
70. Until you value yourself, you will not value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it. (M. Scott Peck)
Don't waste your time as it won't come back.
71. What you do today can improve all your tomorrows. (Ralph Marston)
Today's effort will be tomorrow's reward.
72. Try and fail, but never fail to try. (Jared Leto)
Try to reach the goal, even if failure is present.
73. There is real magic in excitement. Explain the difference between mediocrity and great achievement. (Norman Vincent Peale)
Do not lose enthusiasm, it is the energy that pushes you to get ahead.
74. You can be disappointed if you fail but you are finished if you don't try. (Beverly Sills)
Try it whenever necessary.
75. One of the most comforting things is achieving what you were told you would never achieve. (Walter Bagehot)
The more people tell you that you can't, try it with enthusiasm.
76. You have to start telling the story of your life as you now want it to be and discontinue the stories of how it has been or how it is. (Esther and Jerry Hicks)
You are the only one who can write your story.
77. One can choose to return to safety or move forward to growth. Growth must be chosen over and over again. Fear must be overcome over and over again. (Abraham Maslow)
Bet on your growth.
78. Optimism allows you to resist the hardest blows and, in addition, keep your mind healthy and strong.
Never lose optimism, because it is the key to overcoming obstacles.
79. Learn, especially when the pain teaches you.
Pain is a good teacher.
80. People can fake it for a few days, but not for a lifetime. (Anonymous)
Do not pretend to have a full life, when the reality is different.
81. Love has no cure, but it is the only medicine for all ills. (Leonard Cohen)
Love overcomes any difficulty.
82. Most people listen with the intent to respond, not with the intent to understand. (A. c. Doyle)
Study, learn, have knowledge and apply it.
83. Never stop smiling, even when you're sad, because you never know who might fall in love with your smile. (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
Never stop smiling even in difficult times.
84. Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you will find yourself doing the impossible. (Ferdinand of Assisi)
Just start, the rest comes later.
85. He who has a why to live can face all the hows. (Friedrich Nietzsche)
You just have to know what you want to get started.
86. The true seeker grows and learns, and discovers that he is always primarily responsible for what happens. (Jorge Bucay)
In your search for the best, remember that you are responsible for what happens.
87. Being a good loser is learning how to win. (Carl Sandberg)
There is no loser, only learning.
88. For changes to have real value, they must be consistent and long-lasting. (Anthony Robbins)
When you have a dream focus on it, don't constantly change.
89. Whoever transforms himself, transforms the world. (Dalai Lama)
Change you and your surroundings will too.
90. Always change a negative situation into a positive one. (Michael Jordan)
Put all your efforts to change what you don't like.
91. You win and you lose, you go up and down, you are born and you die. And if the story is so simple, why do you care so much? (Facundo Cabral)
Life is very simple, there are defeats and victories.
92. You don't get ahead celebrating successes but overcoming failures. (Orison Sweet Marden)
People who fail and move on are worth knowing.
93. Normal is not something to aspire to, it is something to run away from. (Jodie Foster)
Aspire to achieve the best, do not settle for little.
94. The question is not who is going to leave me; is who is going to stop me. (Ayn Rand)
No one can stop you, if you don't allow it.
95. Strength and growth come only through continuous effort and struggle. (Napoleon Hill)
Every day is a new opportunity to move forward, don't forget that.
96. Recognizing that you are not where you want is a starting point to start changing your life. (Deborah's Day)
If you are not satisfied with what you have, then start by changing.
97. A goal without a plan is just a wish. (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)
Plan every step you take, it will help you a lot in your vision of the future..
98. He who spends time regretting the past loses the present and risks the future. (Francisco Quevedo)
Leave the past behind, focus on the present to have a better future.
99. Low self-esteem is like driving through life with the parking brake on. (Maxwell Maltz)
Do not let anyone make you feel bad, keep your self-esteem high.
100. When you're sad, start singing. When you're happy, start crying. When you are empty, really empty, start looking. (Jaime Sabines)
For every situation there is a way out.
101. Before anything else, preparation is the key to success. (Alexander Graham Bell)
Never stop studying.
102. Success depends on effort. (Sophocles)
If you try harder and harder, success is assured.
103. Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right. (Henry Ford)
If you think you can do it, you will.
104. The little seed knew that in order to grow, she needed to be covered in earth, buried in darkness, and struggle to reach the light. (Sandra Kering)
Life will put you many obstacles, but only you can overcome them.
105. Growth is never by chance; it is the result of forces working together. (James Cash Penny)
If you work hard, you will be a better person.
106. Don't call it a dream, call it a plan. (Anonymous)
Every person has a plan in life.
107. Do not cry because it's over, smile because it happened. (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
Don't be sorry because something ended, be thankful because it happened.
108. There is nothing noble in being superior to your neighbor; true nobility is being superior to your old self. (Ernest Hemingway)
Do not pretend to surpass anyone, except yourself.
109. The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
You are the only one who can decide what kind of people you will be.
110. We should use the past as a springboard and not as a sofa. (Harold Macmillan)
Learn from the past, but don't live in it.