The 80 best phrases of Anthony Hopkins
Jul 15, 2021
Philip Anthony Hopkins is known for being one of the most iconic and successful Hollywood actors of all time, a definite chameleon when it comes to playing his roles, from the iconic and terrifying Hannibal Lecter in 'The Silence of the Lambs', as a graceful butler in 'The Remains of the Day' or as the mighty god Odin in the movies of 'Thor'. And a long etcetera. With this selection of his most famous quotes we will better understand his way of understanding cinema and life in general.
- We recommend you read: "65 phrases and reflections of Robert De Niro"
Great quotes from Anthony Hopkins
In addition to being an actor, he is a composer, musician, producer, director, painter and writer.. She challenged his dyslexic condition and instead of feeling disadvantaged, she made it his motivation to grow. Now, let's get to know a little more about this great British-American character, through phrases of his authorship and some of his films.
1. I like the good life too much, I'm not good at going on stage night after night and on a humid Wednesday afternoon.
Talking about how overwork is counterproductive to your life.
2. I think all the actors of that generation, like Bogart, were wonderful actors.
An actor Hopkins admired.
3. I have no interest in Shakespeare and all that British nonsense... I just wanted to be famous and everything else is bullshit.
Talking about his reason for being an actor, something simple and without any poetic background.
4. We are dying to overthink. We are slowly killing ourselves by thinking of everything.
Worries can destroy us as they slowly consume us from within.
5. My philosophy is: it's none of my business what people say and think about me. I am what I am, and I do what I do. I do not expect anything and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
A great philosophy that we should all take as inspiration.
6. Life is too short to deal with the insecurities of others.
We can help those in need, but not let them become dependent on us.
7. The meaning of life is to live each day as it is presented to us.
Live without questioning anything, just enjoy.
8. I am delighted to be an alcoholic, I would not have missed it for the world.
A very strange devotion to his taste for alcohol.
9. They did not act. They just lit up and did it, and the characters were wonderful.
Talking about the work of classic Hollywood actors.
10. My life turned out to be beyond my biggest dreams.
A great revelation about what the actor could become with his career.
11. Think. Think. Think. You can never trust the human mind anyway. It is a death trap.
Our mind can become an enemy that sometimes we cannot defeat.
12. Richard Burton came to the same city as me, so I thought about following my nose, and I follow my luck. I think I've been very lucky.
Talking about following our instincts when we want to achieve a dream.
13. Try not to worry about it. It is a spiritual thing. Do not look for the results, do not live in the reward.
A great phrase that makes us reflect on what we expect from life.
14. I am a very tough man, you know that. I'm a pretty tough man.
Of course, despite being spontaneous, he can lead his life with an iron fist.
15. To be honest, I am seriously considering... eating his wife.
One of the most iconic Hannibal Lecter phrases.
16. In life there is darkness, my child, but there are also lights. And you are the light of all light.
Our positivity is what creates the light in the darkness of uncertainty.
17. I have been composing music all my life and if I had been smart enough in school I would have liked to have gone to Music School.
A musician with a future, but it was not a passion he loved.
18. It's a nice surprise when you arrive on set and find someone in charge, like Ken Branagh or James Ivory.
Referencing the people you love to work with the most.
19. Live in the moment that is a spiritual principle. Live in the moment and let the results take care of themselves.
When we put worry aside, everything seems easier to carry.
20. I have a lot of compassion, but I don't waste time with people.
It is one thing to have compassion for someone and another to let them consume you.
21. You must not be afraid of me... I must be panicking!
Another of Hannibal Lecter's great phrases, proud of his effect on people.
22. Love is passion, obsession, not being able to live without someone.
A desperate vision and dependent on love.
23. The Welsh have a talent for acting that is not found in the English. The English have no heart.
A harsh criticism of the English as actors.
24. You know that you are going to do a day's work and at the end of it, it is going to be good.
Talking about a good day at work that brings satisfaction.
25. It is in the hands of God. The rest is all ego. And over the years I have learned that he has nothing to do with me. As my life is none of my business.
Throughout these sentences we will see how Anthony has great respect for destiny.
26. I love life because what else is there?
Our life is what gives us the opportunity to do what we want most.
27. Have the lambs stopped screaming yet, Clarice?
Clarice and Hannibal Lecter, a very intense relationship.
28. Lose your head! Find someone to love like crazy and who loves you just the same. How to find it? Well, forget the intellect and listen to the heart.
In love, you have to lose your sanity a bit and release your emotions.
29. I don't know what acting is, but I enjoy it.
A passion that is his whole life.
30. I'm married. My wife, Stella - a beautiful woman. She brought a lot of peace into my life, a lot of wisdom.
Talking about his happiness with his wife.
31. No expectations. Don't ask anything, don't expect anything and accept everything, and life is fine.
For Hopkins, the best way to live is spontaneously.
32. I don't believe in nepotism. I don't really like the idea of parents interfering.
Restrictive parents cannot raise strong, independent people.
33. Has he never felt a sudden panic attack?
We all, at some point, let ourselves be won over by anxiety.
34. Getting old without having really fallen in love, in short, is like not having lived. You have to try, because if you don't try, you won't have lived.
Part of life is loving someone who brings you happiness.
35. I tend to get bored quickly, which means I must be bored.
Perhaps this is why he has so many skills so he can entertain himself.
36. We all dream. We dream vividly, depending on our nature.
It is impossible not to dream. That is the engine of our motivation.
37. Enjoy everything that is within you, the imperfections, the darkness, the richness and the light and everything. And that makes for a full life.
We are all made of weaknesses and strengths. It is what makes us human.
38. My weak point is laziness. Oh, I have a lot of weak points: the cookies, the croissants.
We all get carried away by laziness and its temptations from time to time.
39. Sometimes when something happens, we think it shouldn't have happened that way.
We always question the negative things that have happened to us.
40. When the fox hears the hare screaming, he always comes running, but not to help her.
People who lend you a hand don't always have good intentions behind it.
41. Beware of the tyranny of the weak. They just suck you dry.
There is nothing worse than being tied to a dependent person.
42. Our existence is beyond our explanation, whether we believe in God or we have religion or we are atheists.
There will always be a mystical element to our existence.
43. The way to make better decisions is to make more of them. Then be sure to learn from each one, including those that don't seem to work in the short term: will provide valuable distinctions to make better evaluations and, therefore, decisions in the future.
The only way to be wise, successful, and skilled is to try things over and over again.
44. I am not a health fanatic. I just exercise every day.
Do not do things for fashion, do them because they do you good.
45. That is why we feel, when a loved one dies, when we lose an election, when we suffer any defeat, that everything is over. And it is not true. That is the beginning always.
When we finish something, we are leaving the door open to start something else.
46. If you don't leave when you want to leave, when you want to leave, you will have already left.
When you stop feeling love for something, you have already lost it.
47. I am not very good with relationships. With nobody. I can't be locked up with anyone for long.
Not everyone is cut out for long-lasting relationships. Therefore, they must find a way to find a point where they feel good.
48. I am one of the slowest drivers on the road.
Referring to your driving, slow and cautious.
49. Keep in mind that decision making, like any skill that focuses on improving, improves the more often you do.
We cannot improve if we do not put it into practice consistently.
50. I am twisted, cruel, cunning and addictive.
A macabre vision of his flaws.
51. Because greatness is achieved, not when everything is going well, but when life tests you, when you have a great stumble, when you are disappointed, when sadness invades you.
It is when we have a big problem or challenge in front of us that we are able to determine our talent.
52. A nobleman is nothing more than a man who says one thing and thinks another.
Talking about the hypocrisy of the well-to-do about the problems of others.
53. I can play monsters well. I understand monsters. I understand crazy people.
A very dark side of the actor that helps him play the most fatal characters of him.
54. I always liked taking the plunge, you know, I would dive to the deep end and hope to find the land somehow, or hope to float or survive. That's pretty much the way I've been through my life.
To want something, it is important to be proactive and take initiative.
55. If you are doing something that is fast, including life being too fast, that creates sudden death.
When we rush into doing something, we may be condemning ourselves.
56. I would like to go back to Wales. I am obsessed with my childhood and at least three times a week I dream that I am back there.
We all have that need to go home, especially if we had a great childhood.
57. Because only being in the depths of the valley, you can know how magnificent it is to be on top of a mountain.
Sadness and difficulties make us appreciate all the good that we have.
58. We covet what we see every day.
We long to have that which most dazzles our eyes.
59. And I love scary movies. They make you twist your toes and you are not the one suffering from it.
Talking about his love for horror movies.
60. If I have to be somewhere in time, make sure I go on time.
A fun way to refer to your slowness to prepare and drive.
61. Once he accepts the fact that there is nothing to fear, he drills the primary oil well.
A metaphor about getting things done when the fear has dissipated.
62. I have dual citizenship; I happen to live in the United States.
Despite his Welsh origins, his work in Hollywood earned him his American citizenship.
63. I have a great sense of humor.
Apparently not only is he a master of terror and mystery, but he knows how to have fun.
64. I believe that when we do things without fear, we can do anything. As long as you don't worry about the consequences.
The first impediment that we must overcome is the fear of doing something.
65. I have a rigorous training regimen. Every day I do 3 minutes on a treadmill, then I go to bed, drink a glass of vodka and smoke a cigarette.
A sedentary life that he seems to enjoy very much.
66. Scars teach us that the past was real.
The scars show us how much we have survived and that we have been able to move on.
67. Pain is the megaphone that God uses to wake up a world of the deaf.
A mystical insight into the pain that we frequently go through.
68. I never make conscious decisions.
We have seen how spontaneity and simplicity is Hopkins' motto.
69. If you do things, whether in quality or music or painting, do it without fear - that's my philosophy. Because no one can arrest him and send him to jail if he looks bad, so there is nothing to lose.
The arts help us to express ourselves and even become a way of life.
70. All the point of courage, to overcome your fear. That's what's interesting, when courage bleeds through fear.
Courage is seen when we get tired of feeling fear.
71. I do not have many friends; I am a loner. As a child I was very isolated, and I have never been very close to someone.
Talking about how unsocial he was.
72. It is the imagination that sets us apart from all those stupid.
Imagination should be our most precious asset, as it is what allows us to stand out.
73. Love is trust, responsibility, weighing your options and feelings, living the rest of your life in accordance with them and above all, not hurt the loved one, is that love?, multiply it by infinity, take it to the end of eternity and you will barely have a glimpse of what talked.
A very interesting and beautiful vision of love that we should all possess.
74. I have worked with Lawrence Olivier for years. He was an excellent mentor.
We all have a mentor whom we respect and appreciate.
75. My philosophy is: It is none of my business what people say and think of me.
The opinions of others should not have the power to define us, because no one knows us better than ourselves.
76. Israel means war and destruction, and Americans are behind this war and I am ashamed to be an American.
A sign that we should not sympathize with the military acts of our countries.
77. They nicknamed me 'Dumbo', like the elephant, when I was a kid because I couldn't understand things at school.
Despite having a difficulty, that did not prevent him from growing.
78. Why love if losing it hurts so much? I don't have any more answers, just the life I've lived. The pain of the present is part of the happiness of the past.
Love is always a risk to take, but it brings beautiful benefits.
79. Freedom is out there, you just have to cross the walls that we build ourselves.
We ourselves can be the greatest impediments to growth.
80. I am always assigned those strange male roles... That's not really me.
The actors have nothing to do with the role they play. They are just ordinary people. Like everyone.