The 30 best phrases of Walt Whitman
Jul 16, 2021
Today we bring you a selection of phrases by Walt Whitman (1819-1892).
This American poet, essayist, journalist, and humanist was a great symbol of philosophical realism. He is considered one of the most influential authors in contemporary literature.
Absolutely unmissable Walt Whitman quotes
Hopefully these quotes from Walt Whitman make you think as much as we do. Without further delay, we begin.
1. I swear to you, there are divine things more beautiful than words can tell.
I swear to you, there are more beautiful divine things than words can say.
2. We were together. I forgot the rest.
We were together. I forgot the rest.
3. I exist as I am. That is enough.
I exist as I am. It's enough.
4. Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
Always keep your face up to the sunlight and shadows will fall behind you.
5. If you want to know where your heart is, look to where your mind goes when it wanders.
If you want to know where your heart is, watch where your mind goes when you wander.
6. Will you come travel with me? Shall we stick by each other as long as we live?
Do you want to come travel with me? Are we going to stick together for as long as we live?
7. Let your soul stand cool and composed before a million universes.
Let your soul be fresh and composed before a million universes.
8. When I give, I give myself.
When I give, I give to myself.
9. Whatever satisfies the soul is truth.
What satisfies the soul is true.
10. Peace is always beautiful.
Peace is always beautiful.
11. Now, voyager, sail thou forth, to seek and find.
Now, traveler, navigate to another, to seek and find.
12. Resist much, obey little.
Resists a lot, obeys little.
13. I believe a leaf of grass is no less than the journey-work of the stars.
I believe that a blade of grass is not less than the journey - work of the stars.
14. The secret of it all is to write… without waiting for a fit time or place.
The secret of all this is to write… without having to wait for a time in form or place.
15. To begin, begin.
To begin, it begins.
16. If you done it, it ain't bragging
A fun reflection on the reasons to be proud.
17. Freedom: to walk free and own no superior
A curious definition of the concept of freedom.
18. I accept reality and dare not to question it
Philosophical phrase about what freedom is.
19. To have great poets, there must be great audiences
Many times we forget the social context in which artists appear.
20. Produces great men, the rest follows
A recipe for building better societies.
21. Do anything, but let it produce joy
What matters is that what we do produces happiness.
22. In the faces of men and women, I see God
Whitman saw traces of the divine in humanity.
23. The real war will never get in the books
Important battles are underground.
24. The future is no more uncertain than the present
The present is full of surprises.
25. If anything is sacred, the human body is sacred
A phrase that is self explanatory in relation to other reflections of Whitman on the divine.
26. The dirtiest book of all is the expurgated book
A reflection on breakthrough books.
27. I believe that much unseen is also here
A phrase about the metaphysical.
28. I am not contain'd between my hat and my boots
Another reflection about the material and to what extent we are just our body.
29. Simplicity is the glory of expression
Interesting aphorism about the simple.
30. I celebrate myself, and sing myself
A phrase by Walt Whitman full of vitalism.
I hope you liked these quotes by Walt Whitman! Thank you for your visit and to continue enjoying the best literature.