The 90 best phrases of Benjamin Franklin
Jul 16, 2021
Benjamin Franklin was an American inventor, scientist and politician, who was born in the city of Boston around 1706. Regarded as one of the founding fathers of the United States, Franklin is perhaps along with George Washington Y Abraham Lincoln, one of the most iconic and relevant Americans of all time.
As one of the drafters of the United States constitution and a clear advocate for the abolition of slavery, he is a clear example from which we could all learn a lot. A true revolutionary in his time because of his clearly progressive ideas.
- It may interest you: "The 80 best phrases of Winston Churchill"
Famous quotes from Benjamin Franklin
In today's article we have seen fit to make a selection of the 90 best phrases of Benjamin Franklin, so that you all can know a little more about this famous representative of the American people.
1. The tragedy of life is that we grow old too soon and wise too late.
Old age is something that brings us great harm but also has positive aspects.
2. In this world, nothing can be said to be true except death and taxes.
The truth can be somewhat subjective and from another point of view be appreciated in another way.
3. Well done is better than well said.
Actions are worth much more than words, we must demonstrate to others with our actions.
4. I didn't fail the test, I only found 100 ways to get it wrong.
It depends on how we see an error, it can perhaps be considered a success.
5. The uneducated genius is like silver in the mine.
In order to develop our full potential we must have received a certain education.
6. Diligence is the mother of good luck.
Acting decisively and accordingly with our thoughts will lead us to success.
7. You can be late, but time won't.
Time never stops, we must know how to use it to our advantage.
8. Being poor is not a shame, but being ashamed of it is.
Being born into a humble family does not entail any disgrace, we must make this fact our greatest strength and know how to take advantage of it.
9. If the man could have half his wishes, he would double his problems.
Great fortunes often carry great problems behind them as well.
10. Work as if you were going to live a hundred years. Pray as if you were going to die tomorrow.
Leading an honest life of work and effort will make us like great people.
11. A soft tongue can hit hard.
The gift of prayer can be a very powerful weapon, we must be very careful with it.
12. He who sleeps with dogs will get up with fleas.
Relating to certain people can bring us more harm than good, we must know who is worth relating to.
13. Anger is never without a reason, but it is rarely a good one.
Knowing how to control our impulses will help us achieve a greater goal.
14. When in doubt, don't.
If we are not sure that something is the right thing to do, it is better not to do it and think about it more carefully.
15. One today is worth two tomorrows.
Do all you can today and receive the benefits tomorrow.
16. Hunger never saw bad bread.
When we strongly desire something, we will do whatever it takes to achieve it.
17. The cat with gloves does not catch mice.
We must have the necessary tools to achieve an end.
18. He who sows thorns must not go barefoot.
Preparing for the worst will allow us to reach our goal.
19. The world is full of fools and weak hearts; And yet they all have the courage to endure misfortunes and the wisdom to handle their neighbor's affairs.
He who normally advises everyone really knows nothing. We must know how to guard against bad advisers.
20. Three can keep a secret if two are dead.
A secret, the fewer people know it better, otherwise it will cease to be a secret.
21. Perhaps the history of humanity's errors is more valuable and interesting than that of its discoveries.
We must know how to learn from mistakes and if we also learn from the mistakes of others, much better for us.
22. The Sun never regrets the good it does, nor does it ever demand a reward.
Acting according to our ideals does not have to bring us an immediate reward.
23. Those who can give up essential freedom to obtain a little temporary security deserve neither freedom nor security.
We must always act accordingly with who we are, we must not allow ourselves to be trampled on by third parties.
24. He who lives on hope dies fasting.
Hope is very valuable but we must act so that it comes to pass.
25. Creditors have better memories than debtors.
It depends on which side we have been involved in a situation, our memories will be better or worse.
26. Money has never made man happy, nor will he, there is nothing in his nature that produces happiness. The more you have, the more you want.
Money is one thing and happiness is another, both can be totally different paths.
27. Use your time well, if you want to have free time.
We must know how to use our time effectively, in order to get the most out of it.
28. If you know the value of money, go borrow; because the one who takes a loan drowns.
Loans can be very counterproductive, we should only use them in case of greatest need.
29. If you were rich, think about saving and getting.
How we use our fortune today dictates what fortune we will have tomorrow.
30. A full belly makes a dull brain.
Hunger sharpens the senses and makes us more awake, because when the need is pressing we apply ourselves one hundred percent.
31. In general, mankind, since improving the kitchen, eats twice what nature requires.
In the first world many times we eat out of simple gluttony, we must eat only what our body needs.
32. Do you love life? So don't waste your time, because that's what it's made of.
Taking advantage of every minute we spend in life depends solely and exclusively on us.
33. If passion drives you, let reason hold the reins.
Knowing how to use your head and act responsibly can bring us many victories.
34. Half the truth is often a big lie.
Hiding information is something that can easily lead our interlocutor to lie.
35. An empty bag will not stand upright.
The basic resources to survive are those that keep us standing every day.
36. The things that hurt, instruct.
Many times we learn from the pain that something causes us.
37. Eat to live and don't live to eat.
Greed can lead us to unhappiness, we really need very little to be happy.
38. Don't throw rocks at your neighbors, if your own windows are glass.
If we do evil to others, that evil may turn against us tomorrow.
39. The doors of wisdom never close.
Knowledge is power, there is never an excess of knowledge.
40. If you want to have a faithful servant, one that you like, help yourself.
Who better to do a task than ourselves? If you want something done right, do it yourself.
41. Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, half closed afterward.
That a marriage lasts in time depends only on its members, we must do our part to make that happen.
42. A house is not a home unless it contains food and fire for both mind and body.
We all need a home in which to shelter and comfort ourselves on a daily basis.
43. A life of laziness and a life of laziness are two things. There will be enough sleep in the grave.
Living life to the fullest is something we all must do, don't put off tomorrow what you can do today.
44. Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.
Be good whatever you do, be the best in your field and seek your highest personal expression.
45. Poverty wants things, luxury many things, greed all things.
Greed is an evil that we should not get carried away with, we do not need so much in life.
46. Lack of care hurts us more than lack of knowledge.
Acting with knowledge and caution will help us avoid greater evils.
47. When the well is dry, we know the value of the water.
Basic resources are essential for the survival of a nation.
48. Reading makes a complete man, meditation a profound man, speech a clear man.
Education is essential to become well-rounded persons, a basic resource that the State must undoubtedly guarantee.
49. An egg today is better than a chicken tomorrow.
We must ensure daily food, after having done this we can already think about tomorrow.
50. I would not want to live long as much as to live well.
Quality of life is essential. What good is living a long time, if we do it in a precarious situation?
51. Sin is not harmful because it is prohibited, but it is prohibited because it harms.
Religion sought with sins to try to lead the population to a more upright life.
52. He hurries slowly.
We must act slowly but surely.
53. A quarrelsome man has no good neighbors.
Our attitude largely determines our success in life.
54. Those who interpose in fights often have to wipe their bloody nose.
Getting into a fight that is not ours can bring us more displeasure than benefits.
55. Better is a little with content, than a lot with containment.
We must prefer quality to quantity, better to have a little good than a lot of bad.
56. Necessity was never good business. A great empire, like a great cake, dwindles more easily around the edges.
The nation in which its population suffers is doomed.
57. Our new Constitution is now established, everything seems to promise that it will last; but, in this world, nothing is certain except death and taxes.
A great quote from Benjamin Franklin in which he shows us his sense of humor, no doubt making it always present in our prayers.
58. Do not misinform your doctor or your lawyer.
In order for a doctor or a lawyer to help us effectively, he must know all the details.
59. Silence is not always a sign of wisdom, but babbling is always a mark of madness.
He who talks too much is often wrong. We must ignore people who seem to know everything.
60. To err is human; repent, divine; persist, devilish.
We must not persist in our mistakes, because with this we will not come to fruition.
61. Eat to please yourself, but dress to please others.
Unfortunately the image is something very important in modern society.
62. Humility makes great men twice honorable.
Humility is undoubtedly one of the most honorable qualities a man can have.
63. Plows deep, while the lazy sleep; and you will have corn, to sell and keep.
What we sow today, we will reap tomorrow. Our daily effort will allow us to collect our wealth tomorrow.
64. Be slow to call a friend, slower to change.
We should not ask our friends for help unless it is really necessary.
65. A place for everything, everything in its place.
Order is very important in anyone's life, knowing how to manage it will help us in many daily aspects.
66. Those who do not want to be counseled cannot be helped.
Knowing how to receive advice will allow us to improve in the management of our problems.
67. Long enough, it always shows little.
In order to see the effect of many of our actions, we must wait for a certain time to pass.
68. The working man is the happy man. He is the lazy man, the wretched man.
Work dignifies people and often makes them profitable.
69. Energy and persistence conquer all things.
With faith, work and perseverance, we will achieve everything we set out to do.
70. The worst wheel on the cart is the one that makes the most noise.
Someone who raises his voice above the voice of others shows his lack of arguments.
71. If you keep your secret from an enemy, don't tell a friend.
Knowing how to keep secrets will help us face less problems.
72. Cut out all unnecessary actions.
To everything that is not necessary for us to live, we should not dedicate part of our time.
73. Tell me and I will forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I will learn.
When we are involved in something, we learn much more about it.
74. Beauty and madness are old companions.
Without a doubt, beauty and madness often go hand in hand, something really very curious.
75. He who falls in love will have no rivals.
When we love something strongly, there will be no rival that can stand in the way.
76. Observe all men, yourself more.
Knowing ourselves is very beneficial, we are our greatest rival in life.
77. The wise do not need advice. Fools won't take them.
Not accepting wise advice can bring us serious consequences, we must learn from the experiences of others.
78. If you want many things, many things will seem like just a few.
Wanting to cover too much will lead us to not achieve our goals. We must concentrate our efforts towards a relevant end.
79. Keep your mouth moist, your feet dry.
We must know how to take care of ourselves and stay fed, hydrated and dry. In this way we will be much more effective in our work.
80. People's net worth is generally determined by what is left after their bad habits are subtracted from their good habits.
Bad habits can take away a lot in all of us, we must try not to fall into them.
81. We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.
The lack of knowledge is cured with time, if after a while we remain ignorant it will be our fault. The search for wisdom is essential in our life.
82. I get up every morning at nine and grab the newspaper. Then I look at the obituary page. If my name is not there, I get up.
Every day is a new opportunity to do things well, we must take advantage of them.
83. Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
In this quote Franklin shows us his devotion to wine, something very common in the population of those times and also in modern times.
84. Content makes the poor rich. Discontent makes rich men poor.
Education dignifies people and makes us equal to each other. It is vital that all people have the same opportunities.
85. In the school of experience, things are expensive, but only in them are the foolish corrected.
The experiences we live are the ones that allow us to learn the most in life and even the most stupid learns from them.
86. Nothing but money is sweeter than honey.
Money attracts many men and makes them drop like flies on honey. Greed is something that can be very harmful.
87. By small blows large oaks fell.
Even the smallest acts can end up destroying something that is virtually much larger.
88. He who waits for fortune is never sure of a dinner.
If we want to be successful in something, we must put all our momentum to make it happen and dedicate all our time to it.
89. He does not own wealth; wealth owns him.
Managing great wealth can absorb a large part of our lives, having a lot of money is also a serious problem
90. Be careful with small expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship.
Small added expenses can become a large figure, you have to be very careful with them.